As of 2016 we will be entering the European KCBS competition landscape. If you don’t know that much about KCBS, here’s a short run down:
KCBS stands for Kansas City Barbecue Society. It is a pretty serious competition with very strict rules. That’s what I like about it most. Basically you are doing it just for the MEAT! Every team delivers a box with minimum 6 pieces of 4 different cuts of meat at a specific time:
- 12:00 – chicken
- 12:30 – pork ribs
- 13:00 – pork shoulder
- 13:30 – brisket
In your box there is nothing but these (minimum) 6 pieces and some ‘green’ to keep them in place. The judging is done blind (judges don’t know whose box they get) and the points are scored for 1) presentation, 2) tenderness and 3) taste.
We will try to enter for 5 different competitions in our first year. Here’s where you will find us:
- Beer, Fries & BBQ III, Hasselt BE – May 7/8 – LINK
- Camargue Cook-In – June 25/26 – LINK
- RegahFest, Den Haag NL – August 27/28 – LINK
- BBQ Kampioenschap vh Waasland III, Sint-Niklaas BE, Sep 17/18
- BBQ Society Cook-Off IV, Hoofddorp NL, October 8-9 – LINK
I’ll update the list as soon as I have more confirmations!